2 February 2014

Bak kwa weekend


When my mother heard of the legend of how this year's record breaker queued for 7 hours for Lim Chee Guan's bak kwa (barbecued pork), she was like, "Aiyoh these people jia ba ka eng, normal days don't want to eat bak kwa.. now wait till prices so high, long queues during Chinese New Year then say want to eat. You all don't waste time to queue ah."

That was before she found out that her filial children had just bought bak kwa from Lim Chee Guan and Bee Cheng Hiang. Anyway since buy already, can only eat.

So I had the chance to eat these two major bak kwa brands side-by-side (literally, one hand holding LCG and the other holding BCH) and below are my personal comparison notes.

Lim Chee Guan (LCG) Sliced pork vs Bee Cheng Hiang (BCH) Minced pork

Sweetness:
LCG - Not overly sweet. It is more savoury and smoky than sweet. (Win)
BCH - Much sweeter than LCG's.

Smokiness:
LCG - Not too many charcoal bits. However, each piece had the smoky flavor. (win)
BCH - Not too many charcoal bits. Each piece has potential to be more smoky.

Tenderness:
LCG - Not really an apple vs apple comparison since sliced pork is usually harder than minced pork. Anyway if we still want to compare, then this is harder than BCH's minced pork.
BCH - I always buy minced version from BCH because their sliced version is too hard. (Win)

Savouriness:
LCG -Got the bak meaty feel and taste. (Win)
BCH - Got more caramelized sugar taste. But more moist than LCG.

Overall winner: LCG ! But if you ask me to queue for 7 hours, I rather buy BCH.

Actually, I still don't know why we eat bak kwa during CNY. One thing I know is the bak kwas and its other CNY accomplices had consumed my calories intake limit for the month. 

Worth mentioning : Not forgetting BCH's prawn rolls. They are my favorite CNY snack. Crispy rolls of spicy dried shrimps. Extremely addictive and I can't stop once I opened it. If anybody wants to plot for me to have clogged arteries and heart attack, they just need to feed me an endless supply of this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...