19 October 2013

Drury Lane

I've decided to do a break from the Hong Kong/Macau entries because I can't help writing about our yummy food in Singapore!

It's the weekend again! And this time round, I want to share a nice place for a weekend brunch - Drury Lane. Named after a road called Drury Lane in London, this cafe is located along our Tanjong Pagar Road.

Drury Lane is a cafe that is easy to fall in love with. It seems to have it right - an interesting and easy to remember name, shophouse in Tanjong Pagar, all day breakfast. And there's no way you can miss this red engine cafe along Tanjong Pagar Road.


Upon entering the cafe, I immediately fell in love with the cosy ambience. There are two storeys. The lower storey is where the kitchen is and also where the brewing of coffee is. There are some bar tables as well as some seats that were constructed from wooden crates. 

If you don't want to smell like your breakfast later, I recommend you head upstairs.



Loved the upstairs which felt spacious, unlike other cafes which made me feel like I am constantly touching my neighbor's elbow. Ok I exaggerate. The rustic and simple decor offers a respite from the stressful week. Time seems to slows down and you get some thinking sorted out. Nice place to hangout with your friends and loved ones too.


The menu is a simple one page comprising of breakfast favorites such as big breakfast, eggs, french toast and pancakes. I can't help but being curious about some of the names of the dishes, such as Big 94, Cloud 9, Cloud 9.4. I guess it should be something to do with their address 94 Drury Lane. They also served espressos, daily brews and teas. You place and pay your orders at the counter on the first floor and you are given a table number (in the form of a paper cup).


The table number - Not for drinking
I got the daily specialty brew of Bokasso Ethiopia ($5, below) which had a good balance of bitterness and acidity, and tasted of jasmine and citrus fragrance. This small cup gave the perk needed for the morning. 4/5


For tea lovers, kick start your day with English breakfast tea ($6, below), which came in a pot. Tea was from The 1872 Clipper Tea Company and it was full-bodied and robust. 4/5


The 1935 Toast ($8, below), a French toast with peanut butter jam and two bananas. While the banana were sweet, it was well complemented by the saltiness of the peanut butter in the toast. Nice comfort food on a lazy weekend morning. As for the name 1935 toast, its been rumoured that a hearty peanut butter french toast used to be the king of rock and roll's, Elvis, favourite food. Hence Drury Lane decided to name the toast after the year he was born as a little tribute to him. 4/5


The Cloud 9.4 ($12, below) might look like ordinary pancakes but a surprise awaited as I bit into it. There was pieces of ham embedded in the pancakes, making the pancakes a little salty. And the pancakes were very fluffy, just like their name. If there was a Fluffy Index from 1 to 10, I would give it a level of 10 and McDonald's pancakes a 2. So you get the idea. If you love your pancakes to be fluffy and soft, this is the one. However, I find it a bit too oily for me and by the time I finished my first pancake, I was too overwhelmed to start the second one. Perhaps you can request them to make it less oily. Also, the turkey bacon was too hard for me. 3.5/5



Ham in the pancakes

The cafe has free wifi and the password is stated on the receipt. Service was attentive and rather fast. Did I also mention that there was no service charge and GST? I don't usually frequent cafes because of their overpriced food. I mean, $20 for a eggs, sausage (and GST and service charge on top of that) which I could whip up myself? So I'm glad that Drury Lane's breakfast menu looks affordable (food prices range from $8 to $12), and it makes a good laid-back place with a chill vibe to hang out on a weekend. I don't mind going back to try their other food soon.


Address: 94 Tanjong Pagar Road Singapore 088515
Telephone: 6222 6698
Opening hours:
Monday to Friday - 9am to 10pm
Saturday and Sunday - 10am to 6pm
Closed on Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...