1 September 2013

Old Street Bak Kut Teh

Friends who know me well probably would not expect me to talk about Bak Kut Teh on my blog because I am a super unhealthy eater. Salads and anything soupy are the last things I would recommend. So how did I end up at this Bak Kut Teh place? It was basically the outcome of a decision tree.

We wanted cheap and tasty food --> Hawker food hmm... Laksa!
But we also wanted healthy food --> The first on my list of healthy hawker food that meets my definition of "tasty" was Bak Kut Teh.

My friend, who is a big fan of Bak Kut Teh, has tried most of the Bak Kut Teh in Singapore. The self-acclaimed Bak Kut Teh guru highly recommended Old Street Bak Ku Teh located along Upper Paya Lebar Road.


It occupies one of the shophouse units and is easily visible with its huge signboard. If you know where is the famous Kay Lee char Siew rice, Old Street Bak Ku Teh is actually located just two units away from Kay Lee.

Their specialty is actually the dry version but I was like, "huh ? I thought the main thing about Bak Ku Teh is the soup?". Anyway, my friend tried the dry version during a previous visit and didn't think it was fantastic. Hence, we ordered the normal soup version ($6) and fried You Tiao ($1.50).


The subtly herbal and peppery soup was both flavorful and zesty! As for the pork meat, there was a good amount of both fatty soft meat and lean meat. The pork meat was so tender that it just disintegrated in the mouth. And very tasty as well. The You Tiao, unfortunately, was not crispy enough. I think they have put the You Tiao out in the air for too long and hence it lost its crispness. Ok I am dreaming about the soup already. Overall 4/5



Tip: refilling of soup is free of charge.

Service was attentive but I visited them during an off peak hour. The food was served very fast. The environment was spacious, clean and very much a modern coffee shop.

Cheap - checked. Tasty - checked. Healthy - checked.

Address:
129 Upper Paya Lebar Road
Singapore 534840

Tel: 6759 1082

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...